Opportunity for Artists: Art_Inbetween Commission
The Stove Network are looking for an artist to work within a larger project exploring practical connections and exchanging knowledge between people working creatively within rural regions across Britain. This is an opportunity for artists interested in: art and activism….art and society….grassroots and big picture….aesthetics as a manifestation of ethics…rurality
Art_Inbetween recognises that the scale of communities in rural areas necessitates that art practice works across the full spectrum of society. As such, many rural areas are leading the way in socially-engaged practice that is making a significant difference to the way people live and the places that they inhabit.
At the end of February The Stove Network will host a Summit that brings together rurally based art practices. This summit will be the starting point for the artist commission. Following the summit the commissioned artist will be expected to follow their own line of interest inspired by Art_Inbetween…for example:
- Exploring the microcontexts of the different rural regions taking part in Art_Inbetween
- Mapping art practices and interrelationships
- A creative visualisation of contemporary rural art practice
There is no specific geographic base for the art commission, but the project will be managed by The Stove Network in Dumfries and the other practice teams taking part in Art_Inbetween (Northumberland, Scottish Highlands and South Wales) will be available as a research resource. It will be up to the artists to be self-directed and resourceful in navigating their way through this commission.
We are open to applications from all different artforms and teams as well as individuals.
- Expression of interest + examples of relevant past work (to be emailed in common digital format not exceeding 10 MB)
- Submission of application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 3rd Feb 2016
- Interviews in week of 7th Feb in Dumfries
- Applicants must be available to be in Dumfries for the Art_Inbetween Summit on 25th and 26th February 2016
Timeframe and Budget
- Commission to be completed by end of April 2016
- Fee (to include all materials and expenses) £1750
- Additional budget for documentation/presentation £300