This year at the Green Arts Conference: Culture Change on 7 November we’re introducing a session specifically for board members of cultural organisations, to inform them about the strategic risk areas and development opportunities associated with climate change and environmental sustainability.
As trustees have a responsibility for the long term interests of their organisations, their response to and preparedness for climate change is essential to consider as climate change impacts for Scotland are likely to create significant physical, financial and legislative risks for the cultural sector.
This is an opportunity for trustees to educate themselves as to the likely implications for their organisations in order to inform their future strategic decision making.
Ben Twist, as Director of Creative Carbon Scotland (and previously the Chair of Hebrides Ensemble, Vice-Chair of The Theatres Trust, and board member of the Scottish Arts Council and North Edinburgh Arts) will lead the briefing, providing information and advice on:
- The likely physical, legislative and financial impacts of climate change on cultural organisations.
- Why climate change is a strategic issue and so appropriate for board engagement;
- How to appoint a board-level organisational Green Champion and facilitate working with your staff team;
- How to incorporate sustainability reporting within board processes;
- How to include climate change factors in risk registers for organisational risk management;
- The likely impacts on cultural business models: particularly those affecting touring, audience mobility and supply chain management.
The session will be an hour long (9am – 10am), and take place before the beginning of the main conference at the same venue, the City of Edinburgh Methodist Church, on Nicholson Square. Although the main conference is a charged event, it will be free for trustees to attend this morning session if someone from their organisation is attending the main event.
Those wishing to attend the Board Briefing session can book their free ticket via Eventbrite below. Please note, this ticket does not grant access to the whole conference. For more information about the full Green Arts Conference event, click here.
Please get in touch with Catriona.Patterson@creativecarbonscotland.com with any questions about the Green Arts Conference.
The Green Arts Conference is the annual gathering for the Green Arts Initiative: the networked community of practice of Scottish cultural organisations committed to reducing their environmental impact.