Opportunity: Commission for two unique outdoor sculptures in the South of Edinburgh and Midlothian
Commission for two unique outdoor sculptures in the South of Edinburgh and Midlothian
Two artists are sought for an exciting commission – NOW ACCEPTING ARTISTS FROM ALL AREAS.
Up to £35,000 per sculpture (including artist fees, engineer fees, public engagement activities, design, materials, fabrication and installation).
General description of the project:
A high quality 3km active travel path has been created along a disused railway line. Two locations have been selected for artistic sculptures.
Both sculptures will be visible from the road and will become iconic beacons to the path. They will be exciting, reflecting local history and heritage where possible with an opportunity to create elements of ‘play’ with the sculptures. We are, therefore, seeking skilled and experienced public artists. We are particularly seeking artists who have experience in building large external sculptures. The sculptures will be of a very high standard with very robust designs requiring minimal maintenance.
Details of the design commission:
As part of this commission the chosen artists will engage with local communities to influence the direction of the design. The build and installation are part of the commission.
Aims of the commission:
- The overall aim is to encourage active travel and use of the path
- To add to the experience of path users
- Reflect the local environment, history and landscape
- Enhance the identity and personality of the path
Artists are asked to express an interest in the project at this stage by submitting information as detailed below.
The artwork will be commissioned by Sustrans Scotland.
If you would like to be considered for this commission please send the following:
- A CV
- At least 5 images of your work/previous projects
- An artist’s statement and an ‘expression of interest’ in this project detailing the appeal of this commission to you (no more than one side of A4)
- Your full contact details
- Response to the above time scale and budget
- Details of two references you would be happy for us to get in touch with
After shortlisting, selected artists will be invited for interview at the Sustrans office in Haymarket, Edinburgh in April (tbc)
To request a copy of the full artist brief or any further information please contact Cosmo Blake at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline submission date: 16:00 Wednesday 28th March 2018
Share your news!
This story was posted by Sustrans Scotland. Creative Carbon Scotland is committed to being a resource for the arts & sustainability community and we invite the community to submit news, blogs and opportunities to the site.