Opportunity: Edinburgh Festivals Sustainability Hub Call for Applications
Open call for proposals for use of the new Festival Sustainability Hub at the University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh’s Department for Social Responsibility and Sustainability (SRS) has been working to embed sustainability in the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, particularly focused on University venues, including an online platform, sustainability events, and festival tenant support. For the 2019 festival, they will also have a Sustainability Hub dedicated to promoting sustainability within the Fringe!
This Hub will include space for workshops (likely a covered area with tables inside), storage space, and direct access to festival-goers in the central Fringe area. SRS will run events from the Hub one day per week, and plans to award use of the Hub to outside organisations for the remaining six days of each week throughout the Festival runtime. Any organisation or group which has a proposal to benefit the community and/or improve the sustainability of the Festival Fringe is welcome to apply.
What is the opportunity?
Use of the Hub space will be awarded to between 1-4 different initiatives, with some flexibility on the duration of each award (between 1-4 weeks). Use of the Hub includes:
- A central venue to run your initiative, equipped with storage space, tables, and electricity
- Direct interaction with festival-goers and Fringe participants
- Promotion of your initiative through our channels and our network
- Guidance, support, and potentially some limited staffing assistance from SRS
Requirements for submitting a proposal
While any organisation is welcome to submit a proposal for use of the Sustainability Hub, please ensure the proposed initiative would fit these requirements:
- Initiatives will benefit the local community by improving the social responsibility and/or sustainability of the Fringe. This means going beyond information-provision; it could be a recycling store, reusable cup scheme, green energy generation, food waste ‘shop’… you name it!
- Initiatives will be self-funded. The space is provided at no cost to you. However, we are unable to provide additional funding to you to run your event so you will be expected to be self-funded.
- Organisations/groups will be able to staff the Hub during ‘opening hours’. While the exact hours can be determined later, the Hub will be open to festival-goers during daylight hours every day of the week. Your proposed initiative will be expected to incorporate staffing the hub at least 7 hours per day during your allotted time.
- In addition, relevant guidelines that apply to the University Community Grants are also applicable here. We would not expect the space to be used by or for:
- The promotion of religious or political beliefs.
- Standard for-profit organisations.
- Organisations with an annual income of more than £1 million.
The deadline for applications is Monday 3 June 2019.
Find out more and download the application form here. Applications and questions should be submit to Kerry.Cheek@ed.ac.uk with the subject line ‘Application for Festival Sustainability Hub’.
Successful applicants will be informed on June 5, 2019.