Opportunity: Platform : 2019 Open Call at Edinburgh Art Festival
If you are an early career artist ready to showcase your work, Edinburgh Art Festival would like to hear from you!
Founded in 2004, Edinburgh Art Festival is the platform for the visual arts at the heart of Edinburgh’s August festivals, bringing together the capital’s leading galleries, museums and artist-run spaces in a city-wide celebration of the very best in visual art.
Each year, the Festival features leading international and UK artists alongside the best emerging talent, major survey exhibitions of historic figures, and a special programme of newly commissioned artworks that respond to public and historic sites in the city.
If you are an early career artist ready to showcase your work, we’d like to hear from you.
We are delighted to announce the call for proposals to participate in Platform: 2019. This will be the fifth edition of our annual initiative designed to provide a dedicated opportunity for artists at the beginning of their careers to participate in the Festival.
Between 3-4 artists selected through the Open Call, will be invited to present their work in a group exhibition as part of the 2019 Festival. Selected artists will receive an artist’s fee, a dedicated budget to support the production of new work, and will be supported by the Festival team, with opportunities for individual mentoring throughout the development of the exhibition.
Platform: 2019 is part of the Platforms for Creative Excellence (PLACE) programme, launched in November 2018 by the Edinburgh Festivals, the City of Edinburgh Council and the Scottish Government.
- Be based in Scotland and have been living here for a minimum of 2 years
- Have graduated with a BA in Fine Art, or closely related subject, a minimum
of 2 years ago and not more than 10 years ago *
- Have not yet had a significant solo presentation within a public institution, or
achieved representation by a commercial gallery
* We will also consider applications from artists who have not followed a formal fine art
education route, where they can demonstrate that they have developed an independent
professional practice for a minimum of 4 years, including a track record of exhibitions,
studio membership etc.
* Current students will not be eligible.
If you have any queries about the above criteria, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please use the Platform: 2019 Proposal Form on the Edinburgh Art Festival website to tell us about your practice, and propose a project you would like to develop for Platform: 2019 (including information about the likely costs).
Submissions will be reviewed by a panel comprising Edinburgh Art Festival Director, Sorcha Carey and artists Toby Paterson and Monster Chetwynd who have previously been commissioned by Edinburgh Art Festival. The panel will select works on the basis of their eligibility and individual quality, with a view to forming the strongest collective presentation.
The selection panel can only assess applications on the basis of material submitted. It is therefore essential, and in your interest to supply the highest quality visuals possible that fully represent your work. Please be aware that while a website portfolio can provide good supporting documentation, the dedicated images or links to specific material for your project requested in the form will be the key materials reviewed by the panel.
Work in any medium will be considered, and the production budget should include any costs related to your proposed activity. Collaborative proposals may be considered, but the limitations to the fee and budget offered should be taken into consideration within any collaborative proposal.
Due to the high volume of proposals received we are unable to offer feedback to proposals that are not selected.
- Deadline for proposals (to be received no later than midnight) Sunday 3 March
- Notification of decision to successful applicants Week of 18 March
- Detailed planning of final exhibition May/June
- Exhibition install to commence Early July
- Launch of Edinburgh Art Festival 2019 Thursday 25 July
- Opening preview of Platform: 2019 Friday 26 July
- Festival closes Sunday 25 August
- Deinstall Week of 26 August
FESTIVAL SUPPORT FOR SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES
Successful candidates will be invited to participate in a group exhibition, with the following support offered for the production and installation of work:
- Provision of a city centre space, branded as a Festival venue and invigilated by staff for the duration of the Festival
- Artist’s fee of £1,000
- Dedicated production allowance for each participating artist (up to a maximum of £2,000), to include any external production fees, expenses and related costs, materials, equipment, etc.
- Mentoring support to be agreed with selected artists according to their individual needs
- Technical support with installation
- Exhibition interpretation panels, leaflet, vinyls and labels
- Dedicated launch event
- The exhibition will documented by a professional photographer and resulting images will be shared with the exhibiting artists
MEDIA, MARKETING & PR
Platform: 2019 will be included in all of Edinburgh Art Festival’s promotional materials:
- Festival Print Platform: 2019 is listed in the Festival Guide, with text, images and artist biographies. The Festival Guide will be distributed widely throughout Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland, to partner galleries and cultural venues. Exhibition signage and an information booklet will also be produced for Platform: 2019.
- Website Exhibition details, artist information and related events will be added to a dedicated section
at www.edinburghartfestival.com. Information will also be sent via our weekly festival enewsletter, giving subscribers up to date information on the latest exhibitions and events.
- Social Media Festival content is promoted via Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Artists will be encouraged
to share relevant content on their own pages to highlight to wider audiences.
- Festival PR Our appointed PR agency will target a large range of local, national and international press
and media outlets to promote Edinburgh Art Festival.
Completed proposals should be received by midnight, Sunday 3 March 2019.
Please email to email@example.com with the subject line Platform: 2019.
Emails should be no larger than 5MB. For attachments or large files, please use a file sharing facility such as WeTransfer.
For any queries please contact us: 0131 226 6558 | firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re interested in using this opportunity to create work with environmental themes, Creative Carbon Scotland might be able to support. Please get in touch with our Producer, Gemma Lawrence. You can also find out about the Green Tease Network, a platform for those interested in building links between the arts and sustainability through the exchange of ideas, knowledge and practices.
Share your news!
This opportunity was posted by the Edinburgh Art Festival. Creative Carbon Scotland is committed to being a resource for the arts & sustainability community and we invite you to submit news, blogs, opportunities and your upcoming events.