Case Study: Environmental Policy – Stellar Quines
After attending a number of CCS training workshops and meetings, Stellar Quines updated their environmental policy and made it available online, a particularly helpful resource for small/medium sized touring companies.
The company has committed to taking action across a range of areas, with the purpose of minimising the environmental impact of their operations, productions and touring work.
Policies & Operations
- Monitoring and evaluation of all staff journeys, encouraging the use of public transport where possible.
- Data collection from activity areas, calculation and evaluation of the company’s carbon footprint.
- As tenants in a large building, working with the venue owners to monitor and reduce the carbon footprint of the Stellar Quines office.
Suppliers & Equipment
- Identifying and working with suppliers that have a robust environmental policy in place.
- Ensuring that new equipment purchases are as energy efficient as possible.
- Investing in digital and online methods for audience communication.
- Encouraging subscribers to opt into email, e-newsltter and social media communication in preference to paper mailouts.
- Using local printers and printing of all publicity on sustainable paper.
- Including a recycling encouragement on all printed material.
- Choosing the most environmentally friendly mode of transport for journeys attached to a touring production.
- Devolving responsibility to the cast and crew for organising their accommodation while on tour, but encouraging the use of environmentally friendly accommodation where possible.
- Reusing, recycling and storing old sets where possible.
Working with artists
- Encouraging all creative team members to be as environmentally friendly as possible when working on any of the company’s productions or projects.
Working with Venues & Audiences
- Where possible, touring to venues that have a robust environmental policy in place.
- Working with venues to encourage more audiences per mile.
- All Stellar Quines staff will take responsibility for adhering to the company’s environmental policy. In addition, one member of staff will be responsible for implementing and monitoring this policy.
- Ensuring that company’s environmental policy is available to all new members of staff and freelance staff, and involving them in the company’s environmental programme.
Stellar Quines have also committed to a regular review of their environmental impact of our activities, engaging all members of staff and the Board in this review.
Image: Courtesy of Stellar Quines, The List, http://www.stellarquines.com/productions/the-list/