Where do you get your Green News?
Image of a newspaper
Staying up to date with the most recent environmental developments can be important for producing the most effective green work yourself. But with a wealth of potential sources of varying reliability out there it can be daunting to know where to begin. This resource gives a quick rundown of some of our favourite sources of green news.
- Scottish Government Environment and Climate Change Department The best source of official Scottish government stances on environmental issues, policy announcements, and reports.
- Keep Scotland Beautiful News from the Scottish environmental charity, particularly useful for information about opportunities and awards as well as positive stories
- Friends of the Earth Scotland Harder hitting insights from the world of environmental advocacy and activism, great for up to date info on the most current issues in Scotland.
- SEPA The Scottish Environment Protection Agency offers a more technical angle as well as reports on weather and flooding.
- Sustainable Scotland Network A good source of information on upcoming events and consultations, particularly relevant for those working in Scotland’s public sector.
- Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Detailed scientific-slanted articles are regularly added by this research institute
- Herald Scotland A good source for the biggest environmental news stories in Scotland.
- The Guardian Having made a public commitment to increase their environmental reporting, the Guardian is probably the national newspaper with the most extensive coverage on green issues.
- The Ecologist Environmental news specialist publication, with a strong emphasis on social justice and animal protection.
- ecoartscotland Blog devoted to environmental art in Scotland.
- @COP26 The official Twitter account for COP26, posting updates as well as news articles.
- @sccscot Stop Climate Chaos Scotland is a coalition of over 40 organisations campaigning on climate change. As a result, their twitter account is great for encountering a broad range of perspectives.
- @ScotGovClimate Tweets from the Scottish government about their climate change work.
- @EdCentreCC The Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation regularly tweets about innovative new work as well as hot takes on environmental issues.
- @theCCCuk The official twitter account for the Committee on Climate Change, the premier independent advising body to the government on climate change policy.
- @IPCC_ch Hard-hitting and scientific-slanted tweets from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the UN body for climate change science
- @FoEScot The Friends of the Earth twitter is usually one of the first accounts to post about new and developing environmental news stories.
- @Cult_Unstained Insightful tweets on the relationship between culture and the fossil fuel industries from the research and campaigning organisation Culture Unstained.
Got your own suggestions? Get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org to get them added here.